But this morning, my head was a'poundin' and my stomach was a'torn up with less than favorable effects, and I just felt tired. I even grumbled to my husband this morning that I expect to feel tired when I stay up too late, but last night I purposefully went to bed early so I'd be fresh and ready. More like I was freshmeat being pounded by a tension headache and adrift on a sea of unfriendly stomach waves.
I love public speaking. And I've always been a talker--ask my mom. My first words comprised paragraphs. My parents pegged me to be an attorney. I was so eager to argue, even before my teen years, and therefore, always in an opening and closing argument.
So if the work was put into the first part, and the desire has always been there in the second part, why does this weak flesh quiver and tremble before the task?
Simply because the task is always bigger than me. I know that even my greatest diligence could be better. My depth of study could be deeper. And my faith should be greater.
Which is why I pray privately, just before I must speak. In those few moments, whether alone or with a friend, I ask God to do in me all that I cannot do by any strength or action of my weak flesh. And grace abiding, He does. Not because of me, but because His Word is important to Him.
Why the Lord chooses to use weak flesh that aches and trembles and quakes and quivers and constantly fails, I don't know. But whether I'm on the giving or receiving end of His work, I'm so very grateful that He does.
Psalm 22:26 "The afflicted shall eat and be satisfied; those who seek Him will praise the Lord. Let your heart live forever!"

No comments:
Post a Comment