Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blogger technobabble

From the very beginning one of my greatest fears about blogging has been the technobabble associated with the art/journalistic work that is blogging. I don't know a blessed thing about html and its sister languages of code and encode. I am usually out of code anyway since the future greats learned to spell.

So there are all of these great blogs that I want to link to and reference and other posts that I want to link to and reference and pictures that I want to link to and reference, do you get my drift? But I have no knowledge whatsoever about linking to and referencing.

So in a moment of desperation I took the chance and left a question/comment on Shannon's Rocks in My Dryer blog about her Works for Me Wednesday feature that I think is really cool. "I want to play, please, but I don't have that kind of Barbie" was the tone of the plea. And I also included shameless flattery of how much I enjoy her blog--which is patently true. Shannon graciously emailed me back a thanks and a note to check out Blogger help. But then she said the "T" word.

Yes, "tu-tu-tu-tu-torial"! Ack! I've tried "tutorials" in the past and find myself immensely confused and frustrated because in the tutorializing they use terms that I don't understand!

For example, friendly tutorial says, "If you want to put your blog in a subdirectory, this must not be an absolute path--it should be relative to your ftp root location on the server."

Ladies, I'm a simple woman. I don't know what a subdirectory is, and the only absolute path I seek is the one way through Jesus Christ. Moreover, my relatives don't farm ftp roots in any location near servers of food.

But, all that terminology aside, after a few, no several, actually quite a few mistakes, I did manage to add some links on my sidebar. Woo hoo! Please visit these blogs! And while it's not computer hacking into the Pentagon missile bank, I do feel like Matthew Broderick on War Games, just a bit-a teeny, tiny bit.

No comments: